Grand Rogue Auto is an attempt at writing a GTA themed graphical roguelike. The setting takes place in a procedurally generated modern city (populated with citizens, shops, buildings of several kind,…) and its neighborhood. The player will gain money by completing random missions, wreaking havoc, and working for different factions. This money can be used to buy ammo, weaponry, armors, items, locations and so on. The goal of this project is to mix the open-ended aspect of GTA with the complexity and replay value of roguelike games.
However, GRA is not only a game, it's an engine designed to handle a massive amount of NPC in an large environment. As a result, the game is easily modifiable using the Modding menu. Basically, all the content beside the game's rules can be altered. Custom-made items, buildings, factions and even NPC can be incorporated into new games with ease.
■ Currently Implemented Feature ■
- Procedurally generated city inhabited by thousands of NPC living their own lives
- City economic chain to supply shops and sustain the population
- Warfare between several randomized factions for the control of the city
- A police force able to deal with criminals
- Combat System with localized damages
- Special Effects like smoke or fire
- Two dangerous buildings (or short dungeons)
- Ability for the player to engage in lucrative activities like thievery or pickpocketing.
- Numerous weapons, armors, and items
- A complete Modding Toolkit
- A Graphical User Interface with full mouse support
- Several game modes : survival, zombie invasion, gang warfare.
- Event Based Quest System (bounty hunting, assassinations, selling/buying)
- Ability for the player to join and interact with factions
- Newspapers and forums to know what's happening in the city
- Randomize weapons and armors strengths / effects and add variants
- More meaningful city economics
- A day/night cycle and a light system in general
- Individual and Global AI Improvements
- And more :)
GRA is written in Delphi/Pascal for Win32 systems available as a freeware. A test build is available in the download section of this website. Can be used on Linux with Wine.