April 29, 2011

Yo dawg, I herd u liek zombies

I also think you like screenshots, especially when they speak for themselves.


There's more information in this screenshot than you may think. 

First, I noticed that the zombie mode wasn't working properly in the latest version. Basically respawn was broken and zombies were fighting one another, I fixed that. They will work as intended in next version, and moreover "infection" is now implemented, people hurt by zombies will slowly loose health, and will have 50% chance to turn into zombie if they don't use a specific item (antivenom) to cure themselves before they die. Yeah, zombie mode will be brutal, be happy that you'll be able to run and that they can't. Also, you can notice this nice window in the foreground, it's a weapon information panel that can be accessed from weapon shops and from your inventory. And last but not least, special effects applied to weapons are now effective. As an example, amongst others, being hit by a shotgun will reduce your stamina or being hit by a poisoned blade will cause the target to loose health for a period of time.


I also fixed some more minor annoyances, added items and weapons, added some options to the editors and so on. You may expect a version 0.3.7 very soon, before the major 0.4 release. It depends if I can put and test all the stuff I want this weekend or not.

9 comments:

  1. Oh man i cant wait to put some vids of this on youtube to get the hype up (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shotgun - 6 Rounds Magazine
    Didn't now that such shotguns have a magazine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a matter of fact, some automated/semi automated shotguns have magazines or barrels. But yeah, it's a typo, sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know what you definitely need? Chat for NPCs. At least whenever they try to take an action in relation to a player, make them to tell an appropriate phrase. I looted a house and a gangster came to me and attacked me. It would be nice if he screamed "get out of my house!". Same with police: "Halt, criminal!"

    You could use those floating text bubbles which appear when you click on something (and duplicate the text in the log). This way you will understand easier what's going on and get more chance to react appropriately. Also, it would look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this game is getting better and better Mr. Serialkicked.

    Deon has a good point, but with what deon said will that come around in the quest generation?

    @Deon Hey you do alot of modding in DF, right?

    Oh and Serial you by far man are creating a very godlike roguelike. Thanks for pushing to keep this game going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I make a lot of DF mods. Right now I make the Shadowrun one (and I plan to make a Shadowrun mod for Grand Rogue Auto once it gets more mod support :P).

    And I, too, check this blog every day in a hope to see more from SerialKicked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Deon: Yep it is going to be improved when I am done messing with the factions. There is already some chatting, but very little. I think you can get a "you're going down!" or a variation when you are targeted by someone, a "please don't kill me" when they flee, and a "I am calling the cops" when you open a container in front of its owner. It will be expanded to most things the player can hear or see.

    Btw, I used the civilian and the police sprites in the version I'm about to release tonight (gmt+1), with proper credits in the readme and about box. If you want a link to a website of yours it can be done too.


    @Aaron: No problem :) Indeed, better dialogues will come with the mission and news(paper) systems. You'll get the basic "get news", "get mission" and "trade" dialogue types from most NPC. Plus some special / unique NPC may have custom dialogue trees.

    Next version features 90% of the combat system, with damage types, aimed shot, running, stamina handling, localized wounds and armors. The only thing out will be the cover system (it will be for the version after). The keyboard targeting system is much better too, now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do I run in game?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will be able to run in a hour or so.
    Next Version.

    It will be the [W] (walk toggle) key, or by using a button on the left panel.

    ReplyDelete